All child passport applications must include proof of parentage, which can be:
- a detailed birth certificate issued by a Canadian province/territory that indicates the name of the parent(s) (this also serves as the proof of citizenship);
- a court-issued adoption order indicating the name of the adoptive parent(s); or
- a foreign birth certificate that indicates the name of the parent(s).
All other documentation is still required. See the steps to apply at: http://www.pptc.gc.ca/info/index.aspx?lang=eng
*Some exceptions apply if the child has a previous passport. For more information: http://www.pptc.gc.ca/info/16-.aspx?lang=eng#parent
Standard processing times in Canada are:
- 10 business days if you apply in person at a Passport office (plus mail delivery time), or
- 20 business days if you apply by mail or at a passport receiving agent (plus mail delivery time).
Outside Canada, the standard processing time is 20 business days.